Sunday, May 17, 2009

Some Sightseeing

So this morning, I went to the college-age Sunday school class at the church nearby. As I expected from first impressions of the service I attended last week, the class was very small. Apart from me, there was the teacher's daughter (who normally attends a different class, but came to ours this morning because there wasn't anyone there), and one other girl. So it's not quite what I'm normally used to, but it's not that big of a deal. We talked about some useful stuff, so it was an okay morning.

The rest of the day was mainly spent doing some sightseeing around the Black Hills. I saw Mt. Rushmore, the in-progress Crazy Horse Memorial, and a quaint little place called the Cosmos Mystery Zone, or something like that. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from that last one. There were signs for hundreds of miles on my way into Rapid City, and all over the place between there and the actual site, but all they said, apart from the name, were things like "Feel it!", "Experience it!", "Survive it!" or other such nonsense. It was actually fairly interesting, though definitely nothing deserving of all the ominous signage. It's one of those "gravity hill" places where things look like they're defying the laws of physics, peoples' heights change, all that fun stuff. And they had a crazy-house setup that we got to walk through. Seen it all before, but it was still interesting.

Mt. Rushmore was cool. I'd been there before, but it was a long time ago, and all I really remember is the bitter cold. Fortunately today saw absolutely gorgeous weather, so I didn't have to go through that again. Crazy Horse Memorial is interesting, though more so for the history and museums and such than for the carving itself, which is really cool, but still far, far from being complete.

And that was my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment