Thursday, May 21, 2009

Commercial!

So today was a pretty fun day. I showed up at the office at 9:30, and we headed straight off to a back yard where we unloaded all the gear for a commercial shoot. We're doing a thirty second spot for Reptile Gardens, one of the big tourist attractions in the Rapid City area. They're exactly what the name implies they are; they've got alligators, porcupines, frogs, snakes, all that fun stuff for people to see. If you're from Tanzania, they're like the Meserani Snake Park. Though here, they're probably a lot safer about things, this being America and all. Which is good or bad, depending on your perspective. :-)

Because it's Reptile Gardens, our commercial involved a lot of cool animals, which was fun and tiring at the same time. The animals were awesome, but we were also at the mercy of their cooperativeness, or lack thereof. So we actually ended up taking about twice as long as my supervisor had hoped, just because we were constantly having to wait for the birds or snakes or porcupines to decide that they wanted to do what we wanted them to do. Eventually we got it all done, though. I was mainly a gofer for the afternoon, moving lights, plugging in extension cords, setting up and tearing down tripods, moving plants around, all that good stuff.

So today was fun. I enjoyed myself, and was thoroughly tired-out after a day of doing some actual work for once. I might even get to do some of the actual shooting on the next commercial we work on, which I'm even more excited about. We'll be doing that early next week, so I'll have updates about that when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment